17 INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR BEACON
The Beacon school places a lot of weight on the interview and if your child has a good evaluation from her teachers, and his/her past grades, test scores, admissions essay and portfolio look good, the interview could be the deciding factor in whether or not your child is accepted. beacon interview questions
Beacon is interested to see how well a student can communicate and to assess his/her mastery of language in conversation. It is also an opportunity for the school to find out if your child is a good fit for them and vice-versa. The interview is also probing to see how motivated your child is and to assess how likely he/she is to succeed in the Beacon setting.
In order to prepare for the interview, we recommend encouraging your child to think through some of the things he or she might talk about in the interview and asking him or her to provide thoughtful details that elaborate on general responses. The more specific the answer, the better. Encourage your child to accentuate his/her positive traits! If he or she needs to outline a weakness or negative quality, always add how he/she is planning to improve (with the help of the school!).
Your child should also be aware his/her body language during the interview. For example, encourage your child to keep his or her arms relaxed and to look the interviewer and peers in the eyes when speaking.
Remind your child that she/he can also ask questions during the interview. By asking specific questions about the school, admissions staff will see that your child is confident, curious and motivated.
Here are some common questions your child may hear at the interview:
1. What current events are you following closely and how do they impact you and your community?
2. What’s your favorite book that you read in school? For pleasure? Why are these books meaningful to you?
3. What are your hobbies? What are you most passionate about?
4. What do you like about our school? Why are these things important to you?
5. What are your educational goals and how will our school help you reach them?
6. What did you choose for the subject of your admissions essay in your portfolio? Why did you choose this topic?
7. If you were an animal, which one would you be? Why?
8. What are your strongest and weakest academic subjects in school? Elaborate.
9. If you could solve a world problem, which problem would it be and how would you solve it?
10. What qualities do you look for in a friend? Why are they important to you?
11. Describe your ideal teacher.
12. Describe a time when you felt very challenged. How did you overcome this challenge?
13. Name a role model and/or public figure who you admire. Why does this person inspire you?
14. Why are you a good fit for the Beacon school? How will we help you achieve your academic goals?
15. What is the most important part of your education?
16. Describe a situation when you saw someone doing something you did not condone. How did you handle the situation?
17. What three adjectives would you use to describe your best friend? What three adjectives would you use to describe your yourself?